iCare and the Cloud
It is evident that cloud-based software is here to stay. Computer application usage is becoming a utility, similar to electricity and with computer networks having finally caught-up with computer processors, it’s easier and cheaper than ever to securely move systems to the cloud without sacrificing speed or functionality. So why is the Healthcare sector, taking the opposite approach? Hospitals are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to “upgrade” IT infrastructure in order to cash-in on government incentives and insure full Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements. But, are they really upgrading?
The answer is a resounding, NO. Overspending on decades-old architecture and deploying with an “installed” or “hosted” model where the hospital or vendor maintains hardware and software is something that corporate America is simply not doing anymore. Hosted software, while it alleviates the need for the hospital to maintain the infrastructure, does not solve the fundamental problem. “Installed” and “Hosted” software is inflexible and actually creates a negative value gap.
- No down time
- No hidden costs
- No programming
- Doesn’t affect upgrades or support
The Enterprise Cloud EHR from iCare is an enterprise-class, Internet-optimized Electronic Health Record platform that’s changing the rules of mission-critical infrastructure. This powerful cloud platform provides fully integrated EHR technology at a fraction of the price of installed traditional software. Current enterprise-class EHR systems are built on outdated architectures, which require a large allocation of resources, for implementation, customization development and daily operations. With iCare, you will focus on patient care, not software.
Cloud value and benefits
- Multi-tenant architecture
- No hardware or software to buy or install
- Products are never sunset
- Free upgrades
- Cost reduction (No IT infrastructure)
- Per user pricing
- All customers on same version of software
- Alleviation of staff and skill shortages
- Ability to move internal staff into higher-value work
- Access to latest technologies
- Free Disaster Recover and Redundancy
- Highest level of data security
- Quickly migrate from legacy systems
- Easy transition from paper-based workflows
Security & the Cloud
Data security breaches cost hospitals nearly $6 Billion annually, so what’s being done to mitigate this risk in HIT? The short answer is hospitals are not doing enough. Moving to a vendor “hosted” model, increasing HIT security budgets and staffs are NOT the answer. iCare is leading the industry with a fresh alternative with its fully integrated enterprise cloud EHR that offers the most secure environment available.
According to one industry study, the impact of a data breach over a two-year period is approximately $2 million per organization and the average organization had 2.4 data breach incidents during that same time period. In short, healthcare organizations are not protecting patient data in meaningful ways. Perhaps what’s more startling is that 58% of healthcare organizations admit to having little or no confidence in their ability to appropriately secure patient records. Security is a daunting task and this is compounded by historically understaffed HIT departments.
What’s the alternative? According to the CDW Cloud Computing Tracking Poll, 37% of health care facilities have already developed strategic plans for adoption of cloud computing. While this is a good start, this is not related directly to patient data, rather a general appetite for moving to cloud vendors, like iCare. This is due in large part to the dearth of enterprise-cloud EHR providers. Until now, with iCare, the ability to bring a hospital EHR into a fully Software as a Service (SaaS) environment was not possible.
Put simply iCare boasts the industry’s most advanced security infrastructure which mitigates our customers’ risk. Traditional vendor “hosting” models DO NOT offer the same level of security.
Some iCare Enterprise Cloud EHR security feature include:
- 24×7 application monitoring
- Fully secure SSL browser access
- Encrypted transmitted and rested data
- Managed access to cloud applications by staff
- Intrusion detection
- 24-hour room monitoring for data center and locked data center
- Regular certification of security measures
- Annual structured information security and HIPAA training for all IT employees
The iCare Data Centers are Tier 4 Facilities that include:
- Multiple independent distribution paths serving the IT equipment.
- Redundant site infrastructure capacity components.
- Cooling equipment that is independently dual-powered, including chillers and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems.
- Dual-powered IT equipment that is fully compatible with the topology of a site’s architecture
- Fault-tolerant and congruent site infrastructure with electrical power storage and distribution facilities with expected availability of 99.995%